Thursday, December 16, 2010

Around the House

So, I am definately due a blog post or two! I have been meaning to for so long now as I have finally completed a project. About 2 months ago, I had some shelves built and I took on a "do it yourself" attitude to stain them. Whoa was I in for a ride! After staining, pickeling, stripping, sanding, sanding some more, finally I painted, sanded, and then antique glazed. I'm sure I left off a few steps in between. Let me show you my inspiration....

This shelf is from a company called Wisteria, which if you have never heard of them, check out their website! Anyway, I took this picture to my builder and he made it happen for half the price. Oh, and did I mention I had two built? With such a good deal, I decided I could stain myself. From the picture, it looks like a lighter oak stain sanded down and distressed. Well after many weeks of on again off again hard hard work, I am finally pleased! I went to antique shops all around to find books, nick nacks, and TJMaxx is where i found my jinger jars and murcury glass objects. I think the arranging and things may get added to and swapped around, but for now I am pleased. First, let me show you the before....
AGH, such blah space!

Here is the shelf filling in the odd space between a window and the fireplace. Remember I painted the walls a slate-blue accent color which I like against the roustic shelf.
I love the murcury glass trees that I found as a steal at TJMaxx as well as the coral. I am hoping to keep them up year round, they are just trees - who says they are Christmas? Oh, and I found my garden stool for $20 at Ross one day and rushed to the checkout! It fills the space nicely.




Finally, it is complete! And the stockings are hung! Now that it is Christmas time, here is my decor around the house so far.... 
Just spread around my Christmas china.
Hung my hand-made Christmas aprons!
My lit up snowman was a gift at a Christmas shower from Megan's mom, which adds a sparkle!
I set my table, made some Christmas sugar cookies, and filled two glass containers with left over ornaments.
This corner in the kitchen houses a silver platter which I painted the center with chalkboard paint that now serves as a countown til Christmas. It said "War Eagle" before Christmas, so I'm thinking that after Christmas and New Years following our Arizona trip, I'll put "broke".
My pencil tree is just the right size for the space even though I am dying for a real tree next year! I think my topper is leaning!

I picked up some pine garland from the nursury and draped it over the window and used office clips to hang all of our greeting cards, which is now filling up and cards are all over the window ledge, but it adds some spirit to the kitchen as well as a pine smell!
Not alot of fuss,  just enough! Paxton loves Christmas and he has helped me wrap all the presents! 

6 comments:

  1. ERIN!!!! The shelves look great! I want some too! You did such a god job, i know you worked so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, The shelves are BEAUTIFUL and your Christmas decorations were perfect..especially the outdoor Christmas stuff!! I hope you and Adam are doing well!! I miss you both!! Charlie needs to see Paxton soon!! Your Christmas card was BEAUTIFUL!! LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog! I will for sure drop by it more often!
    Logo Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Keep it up the good work and also keep posting.

    Ready-Made Logo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog post is very unique and well research, Thanks for your research on academic knowledge…

    Create Facebook Fan Page

    ReplyDelete